The Royal Arsenal, Waterfront
Woolwich, London, UKFor Berkeley Homes (East London) Ltd
English Partnerships cleared many of the more modern industrial buildings at the Arsenal, when it took over the site from the MoD prior to inviting residential development. The clearance not only provided empty sites, but also returned the site layout to one more reflective of the major development of the Napoleonic period.
The recreation of the footprint of the former ‘Grand Store’ (1805-1813), running parallel to the Thames, by the extension of old ‘Ranges’ (Building 45) to the west and construction of a new quadrangle building (Building 50) to the east, created an enclosure to the retained historic buildings. Building 45 utilised salvaged cast iron columns and steel work to form new access decks and walkways, as well as adding a complete new wing and extra stories. The creation of a lagoon to the quadrangle of Building 50, hiding a car park and providing a peaceful visual amenity for the residents, also reflected the style of former buildings, whilst providing a new landmark river frontage building.
A variety of other houses and apartments have also been constructed, incorporating a broad mix of tenure and occupation, providing over 660 new build residential units.