The Royal Arsenal, Heritage
Woolwich, London, UKFor Berkeley Homes (East London) Ltd
The Royal Arsenal at Woolwich, initially established in 1671, has served the country’s armed forces throughout many major military conflicts. Buildings tended to be added and extended with each significant war, particularly in relation to the Napoleonic period, when the Arsenal received its royal charter. The Arsenal contains twenty one Listed Buildings, of a wide variety of styles and conditions, ranging from 1696 to 1856, from Hawksmoor & Vanbrugh to James & Lewis Wyatt.
A&Q Partnership have been responsible for the restoration and conversion of all the Napoleonic, Crimean and Boer War buildings, as well as the provision of new housing, apartments and public urban spaces. The conversion of these buildings to their new uses has been carried out collaboratively and sensitively, allowing the preservation of their history and artefacts, provision of energy conservation measures through combined heat and power (CHP) and extensive reuse of salvaged materials. The result is 274 residential apartments across 10 buildings, many of them Listed Grade II*.
The refurbishment of a series of timber framed late Georgian buildings, known as The Grand Store, is the centre-piece of the residential scheme.