Covent Garden, London, UKFor BNP Paribas Real Estate
A former office block, first constructed in the 1950’s consisting of a thirteen storey tower and two storey podium, is being converted and remodelled to provide forty six private apartments and thirteen affordable dwellings, together with commercial use at ground and first floors.
The tower is stripped of its façade and the perimeter structure remodelled to allow larger glazed areas. Two extra floors are added and the podium stripped away to form a tall slender hexagonal tower, reclad in a visual latticework of GRC sculptural forms and storey height glazing, with terracotta baguettes.
A new separate podium block, extending the lower street existing massing, provides additional affordable accommodation over four floors. A new central landscaped courtyard with a Living Wall feature separates the two forms. The existing basement houses all the necessary support spaces including an energy centre, refuse and cycle stores, as well as disabled parking.